Castor oil for hair growth, does it work?
Castor oil is known for its healing properties. It is a commonly-used ingredient in home remedies across different customs. It is known for its properties as a laxative. But there are several other uses too. For instance, castor oil is good for both the volume and the length of hair. It has antiseptic properties that can remove skin marks. These properties are due to the ingredients present in castor oil. The ingredients include vitamin E, omega-6 fatty acids, proteins, and minerals.
Here we list some ways by which castor oil can prove beneficial to hair.
- It prevents hair loss.
- It increases the volume of hair.
- It helps to maintain the natural color of hair.
- It puts a stop to split ends.
- It cures dry scalp condition and is a natural dandruff-remover.
- It gives shine to the hair.
- It is a good moisturizer.
- It has antibacterial properties. So, it can prevent various hair conditions such as ringworm and follicle swelling.
How to use castor oil for hair growth
These are the steps to follow when using castor oil:
- Castor oil leaves marks on your clothes that cannot be easily removed. Wear clothes that you don’t mind getting dirty. Put on rubber gloves and use a brush to apply the oil.
- Comb your hair into partitions. A mid partition is good.
- Apply castor oil directly onto the scalp. Rub it there for 5 minutes with gentle strokes. Then apply the oil to the rest of your hair. Make sure that all your hair is wet with the oil.
- Then put a shower cap on and leave it on for 2 hours. This will allow the oil to enter into the scalp, down the hair shaft, and right into the hair follicles. You could do this treatment on weekends or other days when you have plenty of time.
- Wash your hair with regular shampoo after two hours.
You can use castor oil twice a week. It mainly depends on your hair type. You can do it thrice a week, if you are suffering from hair-loss and then reduce it when you see results. You must carry this out on a regular basis for at least six months to see results. If you don’t get any positive results after six months, then stop the treatment. Castor oil works better for some hair types. It might not be as effective for others.